narrative – photography: Antonia Kati – journalist, food photographer & food stylist
- Approximately 8 barley rusks
- Some black olives
- Capers and caper leaves
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Some fresh basil leaves (optional)
For the sun-dried tomato pesto
- 2 cups of sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 cup of San Mihali cheese (freshly grated)
- 50g pine nuts
- ½ cup of sweet basil leaves
- ½ cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 spoonful of white balsamic vinegar
- 1-2 cloves of garlic
First, let’s prepare the sun-dried tomato pesto: place the sweet basil leaves with the vinegar in the blender and then add the rest of the ingredients. Beat on a high speed until combined into a thick pulp.
Drizzle the rusks with some water, spread the sun-dried tomato pesto on top and arrange the rusks on a platter. Garnish with the capers, olives and the basil leaves (optional). Pour some olive oil and serve.